Township of Brock E-Newsletter – December, 2016
Grant Recipients – 18th Annual Charity Golf Tournament
The Council of the Township of Brock has approved the allocation of funds from the proceeds of the Township of Brock's 18th Annual Charity Golf Tournament. A total of $13,000.00 has been distributed to twelve (12) successful applicants: the Beaverton Curling Club, Beaverton Public School, Beaverton Skating Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Brock Rugby Club, Cannington Baseball Association, Cannington Haunted Trail, Cannington Guides, McCaskills Mills SCC, Sunderland Lions Community Theatre Group, Sunderland Public School, and Wilfrid Community Hall. Funds provided to these organizations are intended to provide fifty percent of the total cost of the proposed project and are paid out after the project costs are incurred. A list of the successful organizations, proposed projects, and funding allocations can be viewed here.
Members of Council would like to thank our generous sponsors and participants in support of the annual Township of Brock Charity Golf Tournament. Without your support, grant allocations of this nature would not be possible. The members of Council look forward to your participation in next year's event to be held in June 22, 2017 at Cedarhurst Golf Club.
Ernie Crossland Yong Conservationist Award Recipients
At the 35th annual Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority (LSRCA) Awards ceremony held on Thursday, November 3, 2016, 33 individuals, businesses and groups who are working selflessly to better the environment were recognized.
Mia Harwood, Kyra Bryson and the Sunderland Public School (SPS) student body were presented the Ernie Crossland Young Conservationist Award! Chief Custodian at SPS Shawn Patrick inspired the nomination for his Rock Stars & the SPS student body for doing everything from recycling to picking up litter to weaving mats from plastic milk bags to buying a goat and tending the school garden!
Congratulations Mia, Kyra, Shawn & the SPS Student Body!!
Holiday Happiness at the Brock Township Public Library
Bump up your Holiday Happiness with Holiday Happenings at the Brock Township Public Library!
Beaverton Branch Library
- Pre-School Story time – December 2nd, 10:30 a.m.
- SANTA CLAUS – December 9th, 10:30 a.m.
Sunderland Branch Library
- After School Stories – December 1st, 3:30 p.m.
- SANTA CLAUS – December 8th, 3:30 p.m.
Timothy Findley Memorial Branch Library, Cannington
- Baby Bounce – December 1st, 10:30 a.m.
- SANTA CLAUS – December 7th, 10:30 a.m.
- Sock Sheep Workshop – December 17th, 11a.m.-2 p.m. – please call 705-432-2867 to register
Drop in Family Christmas Craft Activities at all branches on Saturdays 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Activity calendars available from your local branch library or on-line at www.brocklibraries.ca
Christmas Season Office Hours
The Township of Brock Municipal Administration Offices located at 1 Cameron Street East, Cannington, will be closed over the Christmas season from:
Monday, December 26, 2016 to Monday, January 2, 2017 (inclusive).
Normal office hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) will resume commencing Tuesday, January 3, 2017.
Public Works Department News
- Snow Clearing Regulations as per Township of Brock By-law Number 957-88-PP: It is illegal to park a vehicle on a highway so as to interfere with the clearing of snow. Failure to comply may result in your vehicle being tagged and/or towed away. Your co-operation is appreciated.
- Winter Day Camp Registration is Now Open! Winter Day Camp is a perfect way to keep your child(ren) busy during the holidays!
- Holiday Public Skating Schedule Now Available! Thank you to the many organizations and businesses who sponsor these free skates.
Pre-Authorized Payment Plans
The Township of Brock offers three different Pre-authorized Payment plans.
- Pay your full installment amount as it becomes due four times a year directly from your bank account. No more postage fees to send your payment or forgetting to pay on time and incurring late fees or writing out costly cheques. You still receive a bill in the mail as usual but it will be marked do not pay and the full amount due will be withdrawn on the due date from your bank account of choice.
- Pay your annual taxes with 11 equalized monthly payments. Your first six months payments will be based on the previous year's taxes, and the remaining five payments will be recalculated once the annual taxes are billed in June to ensure your full taxes are paid by the eleventh payment. While on this plan your account will not be charged any late penalty. If your annual taxes for 2016 are paid in full, sign up today to start your 2017 payment plan in January.
- Falling behind in your taxes? Sign up for our Arrears Plan. Set up a monthly payment amount that will pay down your tax balance while staying within your budget. Contact the Tax Collector to establish an amount for your account. Automatic withdrawals will be taken from the bank account of your choice on the 20th of each month.
Property Tax Arrears – If your account has fallen behind, please don't hesitate to contact our office to make payment arrangements. Partial payments are always accepted as long as an account is not in the registration process. Contact the Tax Collector today to arrange a payment plan that will work for you. All penalties must be paid prior to any portion of a payment being applied to the tax arrears. For more information on our collection procedures and what steps are taken in a tax sale process please visit us online
or contact the Treasury Department discuss your options.
Commercial and Industrial Vacancies –
If your commercial or industrial property was vacant for more than 90 consecutive days in 2016, you may qualify for a Vacancy Rebate. Please visit our website or our office to obtain an application form and verify your property meets the qualifying criteria. Applications for the 2016 tax year must be received by February 28, 2017.
Durham Region Updates
- Lane Restrictions on River Street in Sunderland – Construction will require periodic lane restrictions on River Street (Regional Road 10), west of Rynard Street, in Sunderland. The work is scheduled to start Oct. 17 and is expected to be complete by Dec. 23. Unfavourable weather conditions may influence the work schedule. The road work is to support new development.
- Durham Region Website Redesign – The Region is updating its website. As community members we are all invited to participate in an online survey that will aid in the redesign and redevelopment of this communications tool. More information available on the survey here!
- Transportation Tomorrow Survey – The Transportation Tomorrow Survey is still taking place. Find out more information here!
Upcoming Community Events
Brock's Arts & Craft Show
Saturday, December 3, 2016 from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Sunderland Town Hall
Christmas Cookie Exchange
Hosted by the Wilfrid Community Hall Board
Tuesday, December 6, 2016 from 7 p.m. – 8:30 p.m..
Wilfrid Community Hall
Children's Xmas Party
Hosted by the Manilla Community Hall Board
Saturday, December 10, 2016 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Christmas Cookie Exchange
Hosted by the Manilla Community Hall Board
Tuesday, December 13, 2016 from 7 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Manilla Community Hall
Christmas Youth Dance
Hosted by the Sunderland Skating Club
Friday, December 16, 2016 from 7 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Friends of Wilfrid Hall Christmas Pot Luck
Hosted by Wilfrid Community Hall Board
Saturday, December 17, 2016 from 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
To add your event and for a full event listing visit