Municipal Cemeteries

Union Cemetery

The Union Cemetery, also known as the Riverside Cemetery, has existed since 1851. It was donated to the Knox Presbyterian Church congregation by a Mr. Duncan Carmichael shortly after Confederation in 1867. The donated land, to be used as a burial ground, was taken from the surrounding lands farmed by Mr. Carmichael, a Scottish settler to Thorah Township.

The first burials at the cemetery were the children of Duncan and Flora Carmichael in September, 1851 (Catherine – age 5 and Donald – age 14). The cemetery contains 30 stones although it has been noted that many of the stones have been lost due to the Beaver River or broken. 107 persons are known to have been buried in the cemetery.

The cemetery was operated by the church congregation until the 1960’s when it was turned over to the former Township of Thorah.

Scotch Cemetery

This burying ground was originally acquired in 1853. The Trustees of the Burying Ground (Neil D. McPhadden, Neil A. McLean, and Hector A. McDonald) purchased 1.5 acres of land from Neil McDonald for a sum of 20 Pounds. The original deed of land was made on January 8th, 1853, and was subsequently registered at the County of Ontario on the 1st day of July, 1869.

Coulthard’s Corner (Manilla), located east of the Scotch Cemetery was settled in the early 1800’s by the English, Welsh, Irish, Dutch, and Scottish and, at the time, had a population of approximately 700 persons. The community supported a number of businesses including hotels, tannery, blacksmiths, harness shops, etc.

A board of trustees to oversee the burying ground was elected to oversee the maintenance of the burying ground. Five members, and later three, met on a regular basis either in each others’ homes or at the Congregational Church or Baptist Church in Manilla. In addition, the board hosted a number of public meetings for the benefit of the plot holders. Minutes of the board of trustees reveal that they dealt with such matters as fencing the cemetery, fund raising for the cemetery upkeep, and establishment of prices for plots.

Plots within the cemetery were sold for $5.00/square rod in 1892; by 1956 the cost of a plot was $89.60/square rod with a stipulation that the plot holders were responsible for the stones. Requests for tree planting and shrubs required the approval of the cemetery board. The Scotch Cemetery board of trustees was dissolved in 1995 in favour of the Township of Brock. By that time, there were only two members on the board, the cemetery was in need of attention, and little funds were available to undertake grounds maintenance.

Thompson Cemetery

A total of 517 graves are within the cemetery the first of which was a G. Shier in 1834. Many of the immigrants settling within this area of the Township were of Anglican faith; they were visited by travelling missionaries until a church was constructed on this site in 1843.

The church was built in 1842 – 1843 through the subscription of the inhabitants in this area of the Township. It consisted of a 30′ x 40′ frame building without a stone foundation. The interior was not plastered. Regular services commenced on February 12th, 1843; by 1850 the church supported an enrolment of 150 and averaged 70 persons for the weekly service. Church members included many, now long-established, families including Doble, Ruddy, Fair, and St. John. The church was used until 1865 when a more centrally-located church (St. James, West Brock) was built two miles to the south. The church building no longer exists; however, a number of tombstones exist within the associated cemetery (also referred to as the Thompson Cemetery).

The ownership of the cemetery was transferred to the former Township of Brock in 1971.

North Brock Shiers Settlement Cemetery

North Brock Shiers Settlement Cemetery is located on the north side of Concession Road 14, between Lloyd Side Road and Side Road 17 in Beaverton. Previously administered by the North Brock Shiers Cemetery Board, this cemetery was transferred to the Township of Brock in April of 2013.

This cemetery is considered “active”, which means that burials may occur within this cemetery and is administered by an unpaid volunteer appointed by the municipality.

For further information regarding the sale of plots and burials, please contact Mr. J. Wemyss at 705-432-2820 or the Clerk’s Department at 705-432-2355.

All Saints Cemetery & Hart Cemetery

All Saints Cemetery is located on the north side of Concession 11 – Brock between the Ridge Road and Sideroad 18A southwest of Cannington.

Previously administered by the All Saints Cemetery Board, this cemetery was deeded to the Township of Brock in June, 2007.

Wilfrid (Hart) Cemetery is located on the west side of Brock Road south of Regional Road 12 in the hamlet of Wilfrid. Previously administered by the Hart Cemetery Board, this cemetery was assumed by the Township of Brock in 2012.

These cemeteries are considered “active” which means that burials may occur and is administered by an unpaid volunteer appointed by the municipality.

For further information regarding the sale of plots and burials, please contact Mr. J. Wemyss at 705-432-2820 or the Clerk’s Department at 705-432-2355.