The Township of Brock Property Standards By-Law sets standards for maintenance and occupancy applying to all local properties.
All property owners are required to repair and maintain their property according to these standards, including owners of rental residential properties – unless there is an agreement between the property owner and a lessee or occupant that assigns maintenance and repair responsibility to the lessee or occupant.
Examples of the standards contained in the code include:
- All structures are required to be structurally sound and all exterior walls, roofs and foundations are required to be free of water leaks and painted or otherwise treated or waterproofed.
- All heating, plumbing and mechanical systems and elevating devices must be maintained and operational in good working order.
- Residential occupancies must comply with minimum requirements regarding room dimensions, ceiling heights, ventilation, potable water and an adequate supply of hot water.
- All exterior property areas shall be kept clear of inoperative vehicles and garbage.
- All exterior property areas shall have well maintained lawns and control of weeds and pests.
Property Standards Violations
When a complaint is received in writing, a By-Law Enforcement Officer will investigate in the following step-by-step process:
- Investigation of property to determine violation (photos, notes)
- Make contact with property owner
- Issue Order (Voluntary) to comply within time frame specified by officer
- Failure to comply with voluntary order results in Order to Remedy Violation of Standards of Maintenance and Occupancy advising the owner of the violation and requiring that it be remedied within a specified time period.
- If an owner fails to comply with a property standards order, we may initiate action to complete necessary repairs. Any costs associated with our work on the property will be applied to the tax rolls of the subject property. In addition, we may initiate legal action against any person who fails to comply with a property standards order. The maximum fine for non-compliance with a property standards order is $25,000 for an individual and $50,000 for a corporation.
Any owner has the right to appeal to our property standards committee if they are not satisfied with the terms of the order. The committee can either:
- Uphold the order
- Rescind the order
- Modify the length of time the owner has to comply