Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

General Frequently Asked Questions

Q – Who do I call if my garbage/recycling was not picked up?

A – Garbage and Recycling services are provided by the Region of Durham. Contact the Region of Durham Waste Management Department at 1-800-667-5671.

Q – As a new resident, how do I obtain a blue box and green bin?

A –Garbage and Recycling services are provided by the Region of Durham. Contact the Region of Durham Waste Management Department at 1-800-667-5671 to advise them that you are a new resident and they will arrange to have these delivered to you.

Q – Where can I exchange a broken blue box or green bin?

A – Garbage and Recycling services are provided by the Region of Durham. Blue boxes and green bins are available at the Durham Region Waste Management Facility on Sideroad 17 in Brock – 705-437-2933.

Clerk’s Department – Frequently Asked Questions

Q – When are Council and Standing Committee meetings?

A – Council and Standing Committees of Council meet on Monday mornings at 10:00 a.m.

Q – How do I know what is on a Council/Standing Committee Agenda?

A – Agendas for upcoming Council meetings are published by noon on the Thursday before the Council/Standing Committee meeting.

Q – How do I make a presentation to Council?

A – If you would like to make a presentation to Council or a Standing Committee at one of their meetings, you must register as a deputation. Fill out the form and submit it to the Clerk’s department by no later than Tuesday at 12:00 p.m. of the week prior to the preferred Standing Committee and/or Council Meeting date (Agenda deadline). Deputation protocols are included.

Q – When does correspondence for an upcoming Standing Committee or Council meeting have to be submitted to the Township?

A – Any correspondence to be placed on a Standing Committee or Council agenda must be received by the Clerk’s Department by no later than Tuesday at 12:00 p.m. of the week prior to the Standing Committee and/or Council Meeting date (Agenda deadline).

Q – How do I obtain a marriage licence?

A – Marriage licence applications are available from the office or online. Once issued, the licence is valid for 90 days anywhere in the Province. You and your partner must meet all requirements listed here to receive a marriage licence in Ontario. The Township of Brock Clerk is an issuer of marriage licences. An appointment is required.

Q – When is the next regular Municipal Election?

A – The next regular Municipal Election will take place on October 22, 2018.

Q – I am opening a new business in the Township. Do I need to obtain a business licence?

A – The Township of Brock issues licences for the following businesses:

Building Department- Frequently Asked Questions

Q – When is a permit required?

A – When constructing a structure larger than 10 SM (108 SF), and all buildings regardless of size if the building contains plumbing.  All buildings must comply with the zoning by-law and all applicable laws whether or not a permit is required.

Q – Is a permit required for an addition to an existing structure?

A – Yes, regardless of the size

Q – Am I allowed to build on any property?

A – Each property is reviewed to determine compliance with the zoning by-law and permits being obtained for an entrance, health, conservation authority, etc. as applicable.    A permit is issued upon all the required approvals being obtained.

Q – What is the cost of a permit?

A – The permit fee is calculated based on the type of the structure and the area.

Q – What is required to submit for a building permit?

A –A completed application form and permit fee, a survey or a site plan showing the location of the proposed project with distances to the lot lines and existing structures, fully detailed construction plans including additional information such as floor & roof trusses drawings, engineered beams, and HVAC design, if required.  Two copies are required of everything & one copy will be returned to you with your permit.   Staff will determine any additional requirements upon review of the submission.

Q – Can I draw my own plans?

A – An owner may draw their own plans to construct a house, addition to a house or an accessory building provided all structural components are shown on the plans and OBC requirements are met.

Q – Do I need a permit for a deck?

A – Permits for decks are required if they are more than 2 ft. above the grade and/or are attached to the dwelling.  All decks are required to meet the setback requirements.

Q – Are permits required for inground and/or above ground pools?

A – Yes, for any pool where the depth of the water is greater than 2 feet.

Q – Are permits required for plumbing?

A – Yes, for stand-alone projects such as water & sewer connections or relocating plumbing within an existing building.  For other projects, plumbing is included within the building permit application.

Q – How long is a permit valid for?

A – Building construction must commence within six (6) months of the issuance of a permit, and once started, building construction must not discontinue for a period of more than one (1) year or the permit may be revoked.

Animal Control Department Frequently Asked Questions

Q – Is the Township of Brock Animal Control Department the same as the OSPCA (humane societies)?

A – The Township of Brock Animal Control Department enforces the Township of Brock bylaws as they relate to animals living in the Township of Brock. We care for all animals impounded under the bylaws. In contrast, the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (OSPCA) aims to prevent cruelty to animals. The Township of Brock Animal Shelter and the various branches and affiliates of the OSPCA advocate responsible pet ownership through education, provide adoption services and share a concern for the welfare of animals.

Q – Who do we call when we are concerned about animal cruelty?

A – Residents are to contact the Ontario SPCA at 310-SPCA.

Q – Does your shelter have animals available for adoption? What are the hours?  What is the costs to adopt?

A – Yes, our shelter has animals available for adoption.  We are open by appointment only.  The number to call to make an appointment is 705-432-2884.  Available animals can be viewed on-line at  All animals that are available for adoption are spayed and neutered (if of age) and vaccinated.

Adoption Fees

Q – Why do I need to license and vaccinate my pet?

A – Regardless of a dog or cat’s (and owner’s) lifestyle, the Township of Brock Animal Control By-Law requires that all dogs and be licensed/registered on an annual basis. In addition, Ontario Regulation 567, Health Protection and Promotion Act, requires that all dogs and cats be vaccinated against rabies.

Q – Where do I purchase license tags?

A – Dog Licenses can be purchased at the Township Office in Cannington, Davis Hardware in Beaverton, A5 Pet Depot in Beaverton, Pilgrim’s Home Hardware Sunderland or door to door by By-Law Officers. Dog License Fee: $25 spayed and neutered; $30 in-tact.

Q – What do we do if we find a sick or injured wild animal?

A – If you have found a sick or injured WILD animal in need of help, call The Toronto Wildlife Hotline at (416) 631-0662 and follow the appropriate prompts to leave message. They aim to return emergency calls within the hour between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. Messages left after 6 p.m. will be returned the following morning. Alternatively call: Shades of Hope Wildlife Refuge in Pefferlaw 705-437-4654, or Procyon Wildlife Rehab Services in Beeton 905-729-0033.  The Township of Brock Animal Control Department will respond during regular business hours only if the other agencies cannot assist.

It is a common misconception that raccoons that are seen outside during the day are sick or have rabies. Although they are primarily nocturnal, even healthy raccoons will sometimes come out during the day to forage if they feel it is safe to do so or if they are unable to return to their den. Baby raccoons are also commonly seen outside during the day.

If the wild animal is very active and mobile, keep children and pets indoors until it moves on. Remove attractants from your property ie. outdoor cats and bird food, garbage.

Q – Do you attend after-hour emergencies?

A – Between the hours of 4:30pm and 8:30am Mon-Fri, weekend and Holidays, Animal control staff will only respond to Emergency Calls dispatched by the after-hour emergency paging company.

Q – What is an animal control emergency?

A – “Emergency calls” means any of the following:

  • an injured domestic stray animal that requires immediate medical treatment;
  • an animal carcass on a Township or Regional roadway that poses an imminent hazard to motorists;
  • an aggressive dog or cat that is at large that has bitten or attacked a person or another animal and is currently still at large ;
  • a request from Durham Regional Police or a local Fire Department for an Animal Control Officer to attend a location that is deemed to be an emergency; or
  • any other situation that the attendant deems to threaten public safety.

Q – How do I get a hold of animal control for a non-emergency?

A – Callers should be directed to leave a message at 705-432-2355 Ext: 229 that will be picked up by an Animal Control Officer between the hours of 8:30am and 4:30pm Monday to Friday (excluding holidays).  On weekends and holidays, staff will check messages every few hours.

Q – What is an animal control non-emergency?

A – Non-emergency calls mean any of the following:

  • a dog or cat at large;
  • a barking dog;
  • a stray dog that the complainant has taken control of (Animal Services will make arrangements to pick up the dog the following day);
  • dog excrement not being removed by the owner;
  • dog that has not been licensed

Q – Who else can residents call about animal issues?

A – -Below is a list of organizations residents can call about animal issues.

  • Animal carcass on private property. Please refer to Yellow Pages for Pest Removal or call private Wildlife Control Company.
  • Wildlife on private property such as raccoon, skunk, snake, etc. Please refer to Yellow Pages for Pest Removal or call private Wildlife Control Company.
  • Animal cruelty, neglect or mistreatment Call 310 –SPCA (7722) anywhere in Ontario.
  • For a person at risk of potential rabies exposure. For human contact with a suspected rabid animal please call the Durham Region Health Department 905-723-3818 or 1-888-777-9613.
  • Domestic Animal with potential rabies exposure (domestic pet or livestock). Call the OMAFRA Agricultural Info Contact Centre at 1-877-424-1300.
  • Wildlife suspected of rabies, with no known contact with human or domestic animals. Call the Ministry of Natural Resources Rabies Hotline at 1-888-574-6656
  • Bears call Durham Regional Police Services.

By-law Department Frequently Asked Questions

Q – How do I file a By-law Complaint?

A – –By-law Complaints (including Parking complaints) can be filed in many ways. A complaint may be called in to 705-432-2355 Ext:229, online, or faxed to 705-432-2189, by email or placed in person at the Township of Brock Municipal Office at 1 Cameron St. E, P.O Box 10, Cannington, On. Any resident of the Township of Brock can file a complaint but the Township requires the complainant’s name, address and phone number. We do not accept anonymous complaints. Once the complaint has been received and generated an officer will conduct an investigation. Investigations will be dealt with on a public safety priority.

Q – Where can I get information on parking?

A – -Parking tickets will be issued for violations of the parking by-law. Parking is permitted on all streets within the urban areas for a 3 hour period. The most common parking infractions are:

  • parking left wheel to curb;
  • parking longer than 3 hours;
  • parking in a prohibited area;
  • parking within 3 metres of a fire hydrant;
  • stopped so as to interfere with traffic/snow removal;
  • parking within 10 metres of an intersection; and
  • parking in an accessible parking space.

Q – What is the procedure for paying my parking ticket?

A – The following is a summary of procedures for paying your ticket:

  • Voluntary payment may be made to the municipality within 7 consecutive days of the date of issue. The set fine amount shown on the ticket may be paid to the municipality within 15 days of the date of issue. If you wish to dispute a ticket, you may make an appointment to discuss the issue with the By-law Enforcement Supervisor. If the matter is not resolved to your satisfaction, A Notice of Intention to Appear can be filed and a court date is set for trial.

Q – My neighbour has an overgrown lawn and garbage, who do I call?

A – -The Township of Brock By-Law Department will investigate these complaints, if received in writing under the Property Standards By-Law.

Q – Can I keep an un-plated vehicle in my driveway?

A – -By definition a vehicle without current license plates (including Validation Sticker) is not permitted in the Property Standards By-Law and cannot be kept on your property. This also includes vehicles that by reason of its appearance or mechanical condition appears to be inoperative.

Q – What is the process for filing a noise complaint in the Township?

A – Noise complaints will be investigated by an Officer, after the noise event.  In the event a noise occurrence is creating a public disturbance the Police shall be contacted.

A By-law Officer investigating a noise complaint will utilize discretion to determine if a violation of the By-law has occurred.  The nature, volume, frequency, duration and time of day the noise is occurring may impact the handling of the complaint.

Charges can be laid for breaches of the Noise By-law.  Often complainant(s) are required to maintain noise logs and may be required to testify in court proceedings.   Noise Logs may be used in Court proceedings and must be completed in a very specific manner and for that reason a By-law Officer will provide instructions on how they should be filled out.

Noise complaints can be extremely difficult charges to prosecute in court.   The By-law Enforcement Officer should be contacted for specific questions.

Fire Department Frequently Asked Questions

Q – Are carbon monoxide alarms required in Brock Township?

A – Yes.  The Ontario Fire Code Section 2.16 requires the installation and maintenance of Carbon Monoxide alarms in all dwellings under the following conditions:

In each dwelling unit containing a fuel-burning appliance, CO alarms are required adjacent to the sleeping areas in each unit.

For a building containing multiple dwelling units and the fuel burning appliance in  a service room, CO alarms are required in the service room and adjacent to each suite in the building that has a common floor/ceiling with the service room.

In each dwelling unit which contains an attached garage or where there are multiple dwellings on the same level as an attached garage, CO alarms are required in each suite that has a common wall or floor/ceiling with the attached garage.

Please note that “fuel-burning appliance” includes but is not limited to – furnaces, refrigerators, clothes dryers, water heaters, boilers, fireplaces, wood stoves, charcoal grills, gas ranges and space heaters, which are fueled by flammable fuels such as: natural gas, propane, heating oil, kerosene, coal, gasoline, wood and charcoal.

Q – Can I burn my leaves and brush during Spring/Fall cleanup?

A – No. The burning of leaves, rubbish or other debris is not permitted within the Township of Brock.

Q – How many smoke alarms do I need in my house?

A – In the Township of Brock, you are required to have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home in compliance with the Ontario Fire Code.

The Ontario Fire Code requires a working smoke alarm to be installed between each sleeping area and the remainder of the dwelling unit, and minimum of one on each storey.

All newly constructed homes require a working smoke alarm with a visual signal component in every bedroom and between each sleeping area.

Always remember that a smoke alarm should be installed and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions that accompanied the device. A properly maintained and tested smoke alarm is the best insurance your family can have!

Q – What is the best type of smoke alarm?

A – There is no simple answer to this question. The two types operate on different principles and therefore may respond differently to various conditions. Some advantages to each type are set out below:

  • Ionization
    • Fastest type to respond to flaming fires
    • Lowest cost and most commonly sold
    • Some models have a hush or temporary silence feature that allows silencing without removing the battery
    • Some models are available with a long life battery
  • Photoelectric
    • Fastest type to respond to slow smoldering fires and white or grey smoke
    • Less prone to nuisance alarms from cooking

Notwithstanding these differences, to achieve ULC listing, both alarms must be tested to the same standard and meet the same requirements. Photoelectric smoke alarms may respond slightly faster to smoldering fires, while ionization alarms respond slightly faster to flaming fires. Since you can’t predict the type of fire that will occur, it is difficult to recommend which is best. Both alarms will detect all types of fires that commonly occur in the home. Installing both types of smoke alarms in your home can enhance fire safety.

Q – My smoke alarm is chirping, what does that mean?

A – Most modern smoke alarms will chirp to alert you the batteries are low, you should replace the batteries and test your smoke alarm. Smoke alarms should be replaced every 10 years. We recommend that you change the batteries in your smoke alarm every six months. An easy way to remember is to change the batteries when you reset your clock for daylight savings time and standard time.

Q – What do I do if I find my child playing with matches or a lighter?

A – All children have a fascination with fire. They like to watch campfires, fireplaces, candles, etc., but for some, the fascination goes beyond watching. Sometimes it can become a repeated fire setting behavior!

Each year, hundreds of children are injured in fires started by children playing with matches or lighters. If you feel your child’s interest in fire setting is beyond simple curiosity the Township of Brock TAPP-C program offers families help when dealing with child fire setters. If you need assistance, please call the Township of Brock Fire Department at 705-432-2355 and ask for Deputy Fire Chief Wayne Ward.

Q – What if I smell gas in my home?

A – Get out of the house and then call 9-1-1 for the Fire Department from outside of the house or from a neighbour’s house. Using a phone inside your home could cause the gas to ignite.

Q – Does the Fire Department refill fire extinguishers?

A – No we do not refill fire extinguishers. You can find local fire extinguisher businesses in the yellow pages that will do that.

Q – What type of fire extinguisher is best for my home?

A – A multi-purpose fire extinguisher is best for the home. Look for the rating to be at least 2A:10B:C on the label. The extinguisher can be used on any type of fire commonly found in the home. It will often be labeled     A-B-C and may be located at many retail establishments.

Q – Should I have a “Fire Escape Plan” for my family?

A – Yes. The plan should include 2 ways out of every room and every floor. It’s important to have a meeting place for family members and practice the drill monthly; more frequently if children live in the home.

Q – Can I have a fire on my property?

A – It is dependent on your location of residence. Open air burning on your property is permitted provided you have obtained a burning permit from the Township of Brock.

If you are unsure about having a fire on your property, please call the fire department, before you have the fire @ 705-432-2355

To learn more about open air burning please read the Open Air Burn By-Law or call the fire department @ 705-432-2355

Q – Can I have a recreational fire in my backyard?

A – Recreational fires are permitted when used for cooking food. A burning permit is not required, but you are required to adhere to all regulations of the Township Open Air Burn By-Law.

To learn more about recreational fires please read the Open Air Burn By-Law or call the fire department @ 705-432-2355

Q – Can I be charged for burning without a burn permit?

A – Yes. Burning without a required permit and/or not adhering to the Township Open Air Burn Bylaw regulations may result in a fire department fees for service invoice and/or a fine imposed as per the Ontario Fire Code.

Treasury Department Frequently Asked Questions

Q – Why are the taxes so high in Brock?

A – The Township of Brock has primarily residential (75.4%) and farm assessments (18.2%) while most other municipalities in Durham Region average 79.8% residential and 2.7% farm.  Farmland is taxed at 20% of the residential rate.  This means that a 100 acre farm field with an assessed value of $100,000 would have paid $265 in taxes for the 2018 year with the Township’s share being $96. If the property was assessed as residential, $1,286 in taxes would have been collected in 2018, with $482 being the Township’s share.

Q – Why don’t I get anything for the high taxes I pay?

A – The Township retains approximately 38% of each tax dollar.  With the 2018 revenue collected, The Township Budgeted to use approximately 52% for Transportation services including winter and summer roadway maintenance; 11% for Park and Recreation services including 3 arenas; 11% for Fire Protection services; 4% for Inspection, Enforcement and Control services; 3% for Library services; 1% for Planning and Economic Development services; and 18% for General Government services including Council, Clerks, Treasury and Public Buildings.

Q – What are the taxes on a property I am interested in purchasing?

A – Township staff can provide access at the Treasury counter to the assessed value (as per the returned roll) for any given property and will also provide the current year’s tax rate (Annual taxes = Assessed value X tax rate).  Individual tax details are not public information and cannot be disclosed without written authority from the owner of the property.

Q – Who owns the property I am interested in?

A – Township staff can provide access to the returned rolls for you to look up the ownership information that is shown on the returned roll for any given property.

Q – Can I pay with a credit card over the phone or in person?

A – The Township does not accept credit cards for payment directly either in person or over the phone.  It is not economically feasible to take credit cards due to the fees involved.  We do offer the use of a third party service provider when you pay taxes on line.  Plastiq provides this service and the fee percentage is paid by the taxpayer.

Q –  How do I appeal my assessment?

A – If you do not agree with your property tax assessment, a request for reconsideration can be filed with MPAC.  Contact them directly to inquire about the process and the deadlines at 1-866-296-6722 or

Q – Why do I not get a discount on my taxes since the property has a cottage that is only used seasonally?

A – MPAC does not assess properties on a seasonal basis.

Public Works Frequently Asked Questions

Q – When are load restrictions put in place?

A – Load restrictions are put in place in the spring when milder conditions and thawing occurs.  They remain in place until conditions dry out and road conditions firm up.

Q – How do I report a non-working streetlight?

A – All non-working streetlights are to be reported to the Public Works Department at 705-432-2355.

Q – Why does the Township clean or cut vegetation in roadside ditches?

A – We have an annual ditching program to deal with drainage improvements.  Vegetation is cut along public roads to maintain visibility; however, we do not clear vegetation for aesthetic purposes or on private driveways.

Q – What is a pot hole?

A – A pot hole is a type of failure in a road surface that is typically is caused by a combination of traffic and water saturating the soil material under the road.

On a paved road during a freeze thaw cycle, the water will expand causing the road to crack. This allows more water to enter the base material causing further loss of material. Eventually, the asphalt layer over these areas collapses, creating potholes.  Similarly, a gravel road may become saturated with water and as vehicles travel over the surface, the finer materials in the gravel are lost allowing a pot hole to develop.

Should you notice a pothole that needs immediate attention, please contact Public Works at 705-432-2355 providing the following information to assist crews in locating the pothole:

  • Name of street
  • Direction and lane (i.e., northbound, right lane)
  • Address of the closest building to pothole
  • Cross street information, if available
  • Size of pothole

Q – Who is responsible for repairing pot holes?

A – The responsibility to ensure roads are in a good state of repair is shared between the Ministry of Transportation, the Regional Municipality of Durham and the Township of Brock.  Roads are classified (Class 1 to 5) based on traffic volumes and speed.  Each class of road has a specified number of days in which to make repairs.

Q – Why do potholes happen?

A – Potholes are created when water trickles and seeps through cracks in the asphalt that have developed over time as a result of heat and vehicular traffic.  As that moisture freezes and expands in the subgrade, sections of the pavement are loosened; when it melts and contracts, it leaves a void.  This typically happens in spring with its freeze-and-thaw cycles.

As vehicles travel over this weakened section of roadway, the pavement surface breaks and pieces of asphalt are forced out, collapsing and leaving a pothole. The hole gets bigger with traffic movements.

Most potholes develop in pavement that has seen some wear and tear – generally six to twelve years old and beyond.  They can grow quite wide but usually only become a few centimeters deep. Higher-traffic roads tend to have the most potholes.

Q – Why do some potholes reappear?

A – If a repaired pothole proves stubborn and reappears, it may be that it was fixed under less-than-ideal conditions.  It may have had to have been taken care of on an emergency basis or in the winter for safety reasons during wet, cold weather, which is not conducive to lasting repairs.

Q – How often are the Township’s gravel roads graded?

A – The Township maintains 487 lane kilometers of gravel roads.  It generally takes the Township ten (10) business days to grade all of the gravel roads, weather permitting. The Township regularly monitors the condition of its roads and will dispatch road maintenance crews if required.

Winter Public Works Frequently Asked Questions

Q – When does the winter on-street parking ban start?

A – Upon the first snowfall, residents are required to park off-street in order to allow for proper snow clearing operations.

Q – In the winter, what are the requirements for the Township to clear snow from the roads?

A – The Public Works Department carries out its winter operations according to the Minimum Maintenance Standards (Ontario Regulation 239/02 under the Ontario Municipal Act).

Q – Why can’t the plow lift the blade at my driveway?

A – Unfortunately, the snowplow equipment is not designed for this.  If the plow blade were lifted from the roadway, large patches of snow would remain and create hazardous driving conditions.

Q – Why is salt and sand used?

A – Salt use is kept to a minimum.  The mixture used on roads is usually 4%.  On sidewalks 100% salt is applied.  Salt reducing measures are implemented as appropriate.  Our goal is to be proactive in the area while recognizing the safety of municipal streets during slippery conditions.

Q – I just removed the snow from my driveway left by the road plow, and now the sidewalk plow has placed this snow on my driveway.  Why can’t the sidewalk plow and road plow come down my street at the same time?

A – The Township understands the frustration that this causes, unfortunately, due to the variations in the plow routes, the difference in the capability and speed of sidewalk plows vs. road plows, and the difference in priority routes, it’s almost impossible to align the timing and scheduling of sidewalk and road plowing operations.

Q – What to do if your lawn is damaged by the snow plow?

A – Unfortunately, during winter maintenance operations, municipal equipment causes lawn damage.  If damage occurs, please contact the Public Works Department at 705-432-2355. Crews are deployed early in the spring to investigate and repair appropriate damaged areas by using topsoil and seed.  Roadway damage caused by the Township snow clearing operations are listed and repaired in the spring.  Boulevard repairs are normally done with topsoil and grass seed.

Q – Why do I see snow plows going down my street scraping roads when there isn’t that much snow on the road?

A – As winter weather conditions fluctuate, we take advantage of milder temperatures to return residential roads to bare pavement while limiting salt usage.  We also remove the ruts which have already formed on the snow packed surface.  This allows for a better surface to clear in the upcoming winter months.  In addition, the clearing operation assists in keeping catch basins open to avoid flooding.  If weather conditions permit, we push snow banks back to curbs to provide more driving width on the roadway and a snow storage area along residential streets.

Q – My driveway was filled in by the snow plow right after I shoveled it out. What can be done about this?

A – It is important to note that our plow operators do not intentionally fill-in driveways.  Due to the difficulty of removing large amounts of snow, many people find it easier to clear the snow before it becomes too heavy.  Often this is before the storm has ended and while snowplowing operations are still underway.  Please understand that, until the roads are completely cleared, you might have to clear your driveway several times during and after storm events.

Q – Why can’t the Township remove the snow from my driveway entrance?

A – The Township does not have the resources (financial and otherwise) to remove the windrow from the end of driveways.  Our equipment plows snow to the right hand side of the road and is the most economical way to clear the streets.

Q – Why can’t the snow be plowed to the other side of the street if there are no houses there?

A – The snowplows are designed to plow snow to the right hand side. In order to plow all the snow to one side, two passes would be required which would take additional time.

Q – Can I push the snow from my driveway onto the street?

A – The placing of snow from driveways onto the street is prohibited by by-law to ensure that potentially dangerous situations for motorists and pedestrians are avoided.

Parks & Recreation Frequently Asked Questions

Q – How do I book an arena facility?

A – You may reserve online, contact the office or one of the arena facilities directly as follows:

  • Beaverton-Thorah Community Centre – 705-426-9838
  • Cannington Community Centre – 705-432-2582
  • Sunderland Memorial Arena – 705-357-3338

Q – How do I sign my children up for programs?

A – Children can be signed up through the Township Recreation Page.

Q – When does registration open for summer camp?

A – Registration dates can be found on our Recreation & Leisure page.

Q – When does registration open for winter camp?

A – Registration dates can be found on our Recreation & Leisure page.

Q – Why do I need insurance?

A – Hosting an event, whether it is a reception where alcohol is served or a tournament where sports are played, involves a certain element of risk. In the unfortunate event that something happened to you or your guests, insurance can protect you and your group from being held liable. Insurance will provide protection if legal proceedings are brought against individuals, organizations or companies who host single/multi-day functions.

Q – How much insurance do I need?

A – All groups and individuals using municipal facilities must provide proof of insurance in the amount of $2 million naming the Township of Brock as additional insured.

Q – What is SOCAN?

A – SOCAN is an organization that administers the communication and performing rights of the world’s repertoire of copyright protected music when it is used in Canada. SOCAN collects license fees, and distributes the fees as royalties to members and affiliated performing rights organizations (PROs) worldwide. SOCAN ensures that music creators and publishers get paid for the communication and public performance of their music in Canada.

The Township of Brock collects fees on SOCAN’s behalf. These fees are based on the number of people in attendance as well as the type of activities occurring at the event.

Q – Does the Township of Brock have a public boat ramp?

A – Yes, the Beaverton Harbour, has a boat ramp and seasonal docks available to be used by permit. There is also an accessible kayak dock for use with canoes, kayaks, and electric motors.

Q – Are there any skateboard parks?

A – Yes.  There are three skateboard parks in the Township of Brock in each of the following locations:  Beaverton, Cannington and Sunderland.