Information for Registered Third Parties
Ontario residents, corporations and trade unions that will incur expenses for advertisements related to the promotion, support or opposition of a candidate, in any broadcast, print, electronic, or other medium must register as a third party advertiser.
Registrations from Third Party Advertisers for the Election, which will be held on Monday, October 22, 2018, will be accepted commencing on May 1, 2018 until Friday, October 19, 2018 at such hours as the Clerk’s department is open by completing the prescribed form in the Office of the Clerk.
2018 Township of Brock Municipal Election Third Party Advertising Registration Package. This package contains important information for those considering registering as a third party advertiser for the 2018 Municipal Election.
You may register as a Third Party Advertiser if you meet the following qualifications:
· An individual who is normally a resident of Ontario;
· A corporation that carries on a business in Ontario;
· A trade union that holds bargaining rights for employees in Ontario.
The following are restricted from registering as a Third Party Advertiser:
- A candidate whose nomination paper has been filed;
- A federal political party registered under the Canada Elections Act or any federal constituency association or registered candidate at a federal election endorsed by that party;
- A provincial political party, constituency association, registered candidate or leadership contestant under the Election Finances Act;
- The Crown in right of Canada or Ontario, a municipality, or local board.
Registrations may be accepted commencing on May 1, 2018 until Friday, October 19, 2018 at such hours as the Clerk’s department is open. A third party advertiser shall be registered prior to placing any advertisements as well as raising campaign funds or incurring expenses.
A notice of registration may only be filed with the Clerk of a local municipality. A third party advertiser or agent of the third party advertiser must file the registration form in person. A person who is filing a third party registration on behalf of a corporation or a trade union must provide written authorization, satisfactory to the Clerk, that they are authorized to act on their behalf.
If an agent is filing the registration form on behalf of a third party advertiser, the third party advertiser’s agent must be provided with written authorization from the third party advertiser to submit the registration form sworn before a commissioner. The agent must also provide a copy of the third party advertiser’s identification (if an individual), as well as providing their own identification. If the written authorization from the third party advertiser is not commissioned prior to filing, the Clerk will not accept the documentation.
Faxed nominations cannot be accepted, as an original signature is required on registration forms.
Third Party Advertisements shall only be placed after the Third Party Advertiser has registered with the Clerk within each municipality where advertisements are to be placed.
All advertisements placed must include the following information:
- The name of the registered third party advertiser;
- The municipality where the registered third party is registered;
- A telephone number, mailing address or email address at which the third party advertiser may be contacted regarding the advertisement.
An individual, corporation, or trade union cannot raise or spend any money on third party advertisements that will appear during an election in the Township of Brock until they have registered as a third party and opened a bank account exclusively for the purposes of the election campaign.
Registered Third Party Advertisers are subject to spending limits and must file a financial statement.
Registered Third Parties
There are currently no registered third parties.
Third Party Adverisers Forms
Tools & Resources for Registered Third Parties
|2018 Municipal Election Third Party Registration Package||2018 Township of Brock Municipal Election Third Party Advertising Registration Package|
|2018 Municipal Election Procedures and Rules||Vote by Mail and Centralized Scanner / Tabulator Procedures and Rules (pdf)|
|Township of Brock Election Sign By-law||By-law Number 2781-2018-AP (pdf)|
|Durham Region Sign By-law||Temporary Sign By-law: 76-2017|